What to expect
Tour from Lake Bled to Ljubljana. From the romantic village of Bled, gently cycle through Alpine meadows and pastures, passing pretty wooden huts and unique hay racks to the east side of Lake Bohinj with its beautiful clear waters, stone bridge and 14th century church. Continue along a green, flat valley floor beside a fast flowing river before climbing slowly through the forest to the Jelovica high plateau.
Swoop down the winding path through a deep forested valley and pretty hamlets with small churches to reach Skofja Loka, Slovenia’s most preserved medieval town. Continue through small forests, along gravel tracks across farmland and on narrow asphalt paths through small villages to Ljubljana, Europe's smallest capital city.
At a glance
- Glacial lakes, waterfalls and mountain views
- Spectacular castles and captivating culture in Bled and Ljubljana
- Alpine villages and idyllic towns show an authentic slice of Slovenia
Arrive in Bled
Discover the beautiful town of Bled, on the shore of a glacial lake. Visit the castle (which dates back to 1111) and the island chapel. Go for a trip in a traditional rowing boat, or relax in a cafe with a delicious Slovenian cream cake.
Bled - Ribcev Laz (Bohinj)
12 miles (19km) + optional 8 miles (13km) detour to waterfall
Transfer to the Pokljuka high plateau before descending past spruce trees to the beautiful Bohinj Valley, stopping off at tiny alpine villages, such as Ribcev Laz on the shores of Lake Bohinj. Visit Savica Waterfall, Slovenia's largest, and take a cable car up the Vogel mountain for spectaular mountain views.
Ribcev Laz (Bohinj) - Škofja Loka
33 miles (53km)
Set off on flat terrain before climbing slowly up to Jelovica Plateau* (or opt for the transfer at €20pp) . Ride through dense forest, stopping to swim in the pool complex in Bohinjska Bistrica if there’s time. Visit the picturesque hillside village of Sorica, birthplace of the impressionist painter Ivan Grohar. Arrive in Škofja Loka and stroll around the town’s charming old centre.
* Should you decide to cycle up the Jelovica Plateau, this tour becomes a moderate tour. Anyone not used to climbs are advised to opt for the uplift which can be pre-booked or booked at your welcome meeting in Bled.
Škofja Loka - Ljubljana
20 miles (31km)
Enjoy a long downhill ride followed by an easy crossing through the Sora flatlands. Pass through Železniki village, a former iron smelting centre where the remains of old furnaces can still be seen. Arrive in the capital of Ljubljana and admire the stunning hilltop castle of this small city.
Depart from Ljubljana
Make your way home from Ljubljana or stay a little longer and continue your holiday in Slovenia.
3 & 4* Hotels
We use a pool of 3 and 4* hotels to maximise our availability for this tour, so regardless of the time of year we do our best to secure your dates of choice. The accommodation often has a lovely local flair, with a chance to experience local life with an authentic flavour of your destination.
- A mix of 3* and 4* hotels
- Breakfast included, half board available on 3 nights
- Secure bike storage
- Luggage transferred each way
Dates & Prices
Please click on a departure date for price options at a glance
- 4 nights in 3 and 4 star hotels
- Board basis: Bed and breakfast
- Luggage transportation
- Maps and route information
- Welcome meeting
- Local contact number for assistance
- Free parking at first hotel on request only - must be confirmed at time of booking
- Flights and transfers
- Bike hire
- Cycle helmets
- Transfer to top of the Jelovica Pass on day 3 - 20 Euro per person to pay locally
- Child (0-2yrs) sharing with 2 full paying guests (100%)
- Child (2-6yrs) sharing with 2 full paying guests (50%)
- Child (7-12yrs) sharing with 2 full paying guests (30%)
- 3rd adult sharing with 2 full paying guests (10%)
Bike Hire & Extras
Pannier, a small repair kit, pump and lock all included at no extra cost.
21 geared hybrid bike
You can add these when you price your trip
Board upgrade (B&B included)
How to Get There
Fly to Ljubljana
Buses run from Ljubljana airport to Bled with one change and take approximately 2 hours. Alternatively, we can arrange a private transfer for you.
Buses run to Ljubljana airport from Bled with one change and take approximately 2 hours. Alternatively, we can arrange a private transfer for you.
Fly to Ljubljana
News, Reviews & FAQs
Simply click on a question to reveal the answers
Why are the hotels not listed in the itinerary?
We use a pool of hotels to maximise availability for you.
What other customers have said
Been on this tour? Add your review!
This was a well-organized and very enjoyable cycling holiday, thanks.Helen Goode, August 2016
Mainly good or excellent. Service - Very helpful, efficient and friendly. Accommodation - Excellent for tour price.Gina Tilly, May 2015