What to expect
Tour from the romantic village of Bled, gently cycling through Alpine meadows and pastures, passing pretty wooden huts and unique hay racks to the east side of Lake Bohinj with its beautiful clear waters, stone bridge and 14th century church. Continue along a green, flat valley floor beside a fast flowing river before climbing slowly through the forest to the Jelovica high plateau or opt for an uplift.
Swoop down the winding path through a deep forested valley and pretty hamlets with small churches to reach Skofja Loka, Slovenia’s most preserved medieval town. Continue through small forests, along gravel tracks across farmland and on narrow asphalt paths through small villages to Ljubljana, Slovenia's capital city, with its mighty castle and wonderful pavement cafe atmosphere.
At a glance
- Glacial lakes, waterfalls and mountain views
- Spectacular castles and captivating culture in Bled and Ljubljana
- Alpine villages and idyllic towns show an authentic slice of Slovenia
- Gentle downhill and flat cycling plus optional uplift for the moderate day
Arrive in Bled
Discover the beautiful alpine village of Bled, on the shore of a glacial lake. Visit the castle which dates back to 1111 and the island chapel. Go for a trip in a traditional rowing boat, or relax in a cafe with a delicious Slovenian cream cake.
Bled - Ribcev Laz (Bohinj)
12 miles (19km) + optional 8 miles (13km) detour to waterfall
Transfer to the Pokljuka high plateau before descending past spruce trees, alpine villages and hay bales to the beautiful Bohinj Valley and Ribcev Laz on the shores of Lake Bohinj. Relax by the lake or cycle on up to Savica Waterfall, Slovenia's largest, and, if time permits, take a cable car up the Vogel mountain for spectaular mountain views.
Ribcev Laz (Bohinj) - Škofja Loka
33 miles (53km)
Set off on flat terrain stopping to swim in the pool complex in Bohinjska Bistrica if there’s time before climbing slowly up to Jelovica Plateau* (or opt for the transfer at €20pp). Ride down into the beautiful open Selška Dolina Valley leading to the Škofja Loka hills. Pass through Železniki village, a former iron smelting centre where the remains of old furnaces can still be seen. Visit the picturesque hillside village of Sorica, birthplace of the impressionist painter Ivan Grohar. Arrive in Škofja Loka, one of Slovenis's oldest towns, and stroll around the charming medieval centre.
* Should you decide to cycle up the Jelovica Plateau, this tour becomes a moderate tour. Anyone not used to climbs are advised to opt for the uplift which can be pre-booked or booked at your welcome meeting in Bled.
Škofja Loka - Ljubljana
20 miles (31km)
Enjoy a long downhill ride followed by an easy crossing through the Sora flatlands. Arrive in the capital of Ljubljana and spend the afternoon exploring the stunning hilltop castle, cross it's beautiful bridges and enjoy the numerous riverside cafes and restaurants.
Depart from Ljubljana
Make your way home from Ljubljana or stay a little longer and continue your holiday in Slovenia.
3 & 4* Hotels
We use a pool of 3 and 4* hotels to maximise our availability for this tour, so regardless of the time of year we do our best to secure your dates of choice. The accommodation often has a lovely local flair, with a chance to experience local life with an authentic flavour of your destination.
- A mix of 3* and 4* hotels
- Breakfast included, half board available on 3 nights
- Secure bike storage
- Luggage transferred each way
Dates & Prices
Please click on a departure date for price options at a glance
- 4 nights in 3 and 4 star hotels
- Board basis: Bed and breakfast
- Luggage transportation (one bag per person (max 20kg) & additional bags at extra cost)
- Maps and route information
- GPS tracks available on request
- Welcome meeting on day 2
- Transfer to the Pokljuka high plateau on day 2 after welcome meeting
- Local contact number for assistance
- Free parking at first hotel on request only - must be confirmed at time of booking
- Local tourist and other taxes
- Flights and transfers
- Bike hire
- Cycle helmets
- Transfer to top of the Jelovica Pass on day 3 - 20 Euro per person to pay locally
- Child (0-2yrs) sharing with 2 full paying guests (100%)
- Child (2-6yrs) sharing with 2 full paying guests (50%)
- Child (7-12yrs) sharing with 2 full paying guests (30%)
- 3rd adult sharing with 2 full paying guests (10%)
- Ljubljana - upgrade to a central 4* hotel - please enquire
Bike Hire & Extras
Each bike comes with a pannier. An odometer, small repair kit, inner tube and lock all included (one per pair of bikes) at no extra cost. An additional odometer is possible at £20.
21 geared hybrid bike
You can add these when you price your trip
Board upgrade (B&B included)
How to Get There
Fly to Ljubljana
Buses run from Ljubljana airport to Bled with one change and take approximately 2 hours. Alternatively, we can arrange a private transfer for you.
Buses run to Ljubljana airport from Bled with one change and take approximately 2 hours. Alternatively, we can arrange a private transfer for you.
Fly to Ljubljana
News, Reviews & FAQs
Simply click on a question to reveal the answers
Why are the hotels not listed in the itinerary?
We use a pool of hotels to maximise availability for you.
What other customers have said
Been on this tour? Add your review!
We were beyond impressed with the local partner in Slovenia. They were extremely organised, friendly, helpful, and all in all fantastic. If they said they would pick you up at 11.30, then picked you up at 11.30am on the dot. We thought they were absolutely superb. You guys were fantastic too! We felt really well looked after by you guys with your emails and info, plus even a call before leaving checking we were set. Again. 10/10.Penny Lawson, UK, June 2019
Freedom Treks were really easy to deal with and answered all my queries quickly and fully. The holiday was well organised and the route was as described and varied enough to keep everyone interested. The fitter members of our group chose to cycle up to the plateau on day 3 while the less fit of us really appreciated the option of transport to the top. I would highly recommend this tour.Kirsteen Morrison, UK, July 2018